This is a very special trip that will allow you to see some truly gorgeous and remote areas of the British Columbia backcountry that not every visitor gets to see – from the glacial rolling waves to the rushing waters of Kicking Horse River.
As you SUP along the river, you’ll see remnants of the early days of homesteading and logging in British Columbia. The settlements in this area date back to a time before Canada’s wild west was tamed and the river was used to carry huge logs great distances.
We paddle along the Kicking Horse River to our riverside lunch spot. In the west you’ll see the towering ten thousand foot peaks of the Rockies and Columbia Mountain ranges.
As we make our way along the river, we’ll stop at a viewpoints so that you can get a glimpse of the wild British Columbia backcountry that not every tourist gets to see.
After 11 km of thrills and splashes, we will take a moment to relax by the river and enjoy a well-earned lunch in the fresh air. After arriving downstream at the lunch spot, you’ll enjoy a delicious riverside BBQ lunch with choices of steak, chicken, veggie burger or grilled salmon. Riding the river on a stand up paddleboard is a little tricky at first, but there’s no need for any previous whitewater rafting experience. As long as you’re moderately active you’ll be able to get the hang of it quite quickly.
After lunch, you will join the rest of the rafters and raft the middle canyon. The entire journey only takes 3 hours, which means that you can ride the rapids in the afternoon and still get back in time for dinner (with plenty of great stories to tell!) Feel the glacial spray on your face as you splash, bob and weave through the foamy rapids, the dense pine forests and dramatic canyon walls all around you. This portion of the river is packed with excitement and includes Class 2, 3 and 4 Rapids.
** SUP Trip ONLY is also available. This will include stand up paddleboarding on the upper canyon and a riverside BBQ lunch. The trip will return to the office by 1:30pm and will not include any rafting.
- This tour not only gives you a chance to try the thrilling sport of Stand-Up Paddleboarding, it will also allow you to see the Kicking Horse River, and views of Yoho National Park in a way that very few visitors get to experience.
- We like to keep our group paddleboarding tours small and intimate, so you’ll only be sharing this excursion with 2-9 other people. There will always be one guide for every 5 guests.
- You’ll be given an orientation so that you can learn everything you need to know to feel like a pro on your stand up paddleboard. (If you get overwhelmed, you can always sit on your knees to lower your centre of gravity.)
- Our SUP trip will cover 11 kms of class 1 and 2 rapids in the Upper Canyon of the Kicking Horse River.
- Your whole adventure will return to the Alpine Rafting Office at approximately 3:30 pm
- You’ll receive a full safety briefing for the rafting at the lunch spot, so even if you’ve never been whitewater rafting before you’ll know exactly what to do.
- Our rafting trip will cover 12 km of rushing rapids in the Middle Canyon of the Kicking Horse River.
** This trip is not available on Saturdays or on long weekends.
What to bring
- Your bathing suit and towel.
- A waterproof camera or GoPro (you’ll want to capture these moments!)
- A sense of adventure.
- That’s it! We’ll provide everything else.
Meet Our Guides
Experienced, Engaged & Confident. Our team is nothing short of outstanding.